Tuesday, May 08, 2012

Don't Forget To Feed Yourself


In our everyday lives we hurry through our days, trying to get things done and cross items off our eternally expanding to-do lists.  Few of us have a lack of things to do.  We never get to work, fire up the technology, and say, "Gee, I wish I had something to do." 

So we make lists, sometimes on paper but more often in our heads.  We spend our days constantly shuffling items as priorities shift.  Your boss, your employees, your family and friends all seem to spend every waking hour thinking of ways to toss a wrench into your finely tuned machine.  You know they really aren't, but the result is still the same.

Everyone is different but I can guarantee every list has the same omission.  They all lack "you time."

As I attend the ASTD conference one thing hits me right in the face.  I come to the realization the I'm collecting so many new ideas to use in the classroom, in my company, and with my colleagues.  It makes me a better professional.  It makes me a better person.

This is "me time."  This is my refill, my recharge.   

So here's one more "sticky" item for your list.  Make time for yourself to  learn.  Shift priorities but that one will always be there.  Be it a conference, a workshop, or just a hike or regular conversation.  You owe it to yourself and everyone around you.


No comments:

Post a Comment